This Koji ‘Aged’ Steak preparation can be used with nearly any cut of steak and is similar to a marinating or dry brining process. After this process has been completed the steak itself can be prepared using any preferred technique such as cast iron, Sous Vide, flame broiling, etc. Feeling impatient? Let’s get straight into it. Want the details? Read on below for more information and a really cool TED talk from Cleveland on Koji!
- 2 Thick Cut Steaks – we utilized sirloin
- Koji Powder
- Optional: Give a generous amount of Koji Powder a quick spin in the blender.
- Coat steaks with Koji Powder and place on a wire rack in the refrigerator for 48-72 hours.
- Remove steaks and rinse. Pat dry.
- Optionally dry brine with salt for another few hours or overnight.
- Prepare as desired – we utilized a cast iron skillet.
Keywords: koji powder,shio-koji,cast iron steak,faux dry aging